• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Friday, July 2, 2010

Lucy's Day

I have been saving this one for several days because today is Lucy's birthday. Her 3rd to be exact. Who is Miss Lucy? Well, she is the beautiful daughter of one of my best friends ever, Courtney. I've never really put into words what Lucy means to me but I figure I'd share a little here. (an abbreviated version)

To fully understand my pure adoration for Lucy, I must explain my pure adoration for her mother. Courtney and I met in college (sophomore year) and she's been in my life ever since. Back in the day, I made some youthful assumptions that it may be me that ended up married and with children first. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because Courtney spent a lot of time soul searching in college and and I thought I had my path figured out. I was going to get married, be a teacher and have some kids. I thought for sure that Courtney would be blazing trails and writing me postcards about her really cool adventures in a big city somewhere. But of course, life never goes the way you imagine it in your head.

We graduated and played the grown up game. We had our fair share of heartbreaks, jobs, graduate school experiences, apartments, laughter, sadness and phone calls. In 2002 she got married and I was so pleased to stand up with her on that day as she married her fella. To this day, he is one of my favorite husbands of all of my friends. A few years later, she called me with the news that she was expecting her first child. I was so excited for her and Mark. I eagerly awaited the arrival of the little one. On July 2, 2007, I got the phone call saying that little Lucy was here. I was thrilled. And a few days later Courtney called me back to let me know that Lucy has downs syndrome. I was surprised and I thought a lot about Courtney and Lucy in the days that followed. What will this mean for my friend? I wasn't sure but all I knew was that Courtney was about to get the greatest challenge and blessing of her life...


And three years later, I am proud of Lucy and her many, many accomplishments and milestones. I love her because she's beautiful and loving and sweet. I can't think of this day, and not mention how every time I look at Lucy's pictures on facebook or read Courtney's blog entries I feel so very thankful to Lucy. For making Courtney a mother. She's always been remarkable but I've never been more proud of her than I am when she's talking about Lucy her little brother Brodie). So for me, Lucy's birthday always reminds me how lucky I am to have been wrong in my assumptions so many years ago. No, I wasn't the one to have kids first. Maybe it's because Courtney needed to blaze the trail and tell me of her adventures so that she could teach me that no one can predict the path life will take.


I went down for the 3rd birthday festivities. I'm struggling with my own mini dramas so it did my heart good to be near Courtney and Lucy.


Courtney and I
Brodie and Lucy listening to someone sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. How cute are they?
Trying to get a picture with both of them
I love this picture. So grown up sitting at the table.
Lucy taking a dip in the pool
Reading a book as the presents are unwrapped. It was a Dora explosion.
Whoa. Dora.
Happy Birthday, Lucy! xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some reason this only just showed up in my Reader today! So sorry I neglected it for so long!!!!

Thank you for such sweet words! :) Life is nutty isn't it? Yours is one of two reactions to the "Lucy news" that will forever stay with me. Do you remember? I said, "Lucy had Down syndrome." You said, "That's the cutest thing I've ever heard!" Ha!

I'm so happy you're in my life, too. It's a better place because you're in it. xoxo