• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Way It Should Be

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends."
~ Richard Bach

(Kim, me, and Shannon in college)
This weekend I attended the baby shower of one of my college roommates, Shannon. I attend baby showers all the time (it seems that way) but this one was really special for me. Shannon and I haven't spoken in a long time (6ish years) and recently reconnected via Facebook. I was thrilled to be invited to her shower at all considering the time that we've gone without seeing each other. I've missed her and Kim (our other roommate) tremendously through the years. Shannon and Kim have maintained a very close friendship through the years, being in each others weddings, and being involved in the special life moments. Naturally, Kim was at the shower as well. The way it should be.

I could try to justify what happened to our friendship but I won't. It was awful of me to let them walk out of my life and not try harder to keep them there. I have missed a lot. Kim got married and has a beautiful little girl now. Shannon got married and is having a little boy soon. It breaks my heart to know the things that I missed along the way. But for some reason it had to be that way and I can't look back at the would-haves, should-haves, could haves. It is what it is. It's life. And sometimes it's messy and unpredictable.

But walking into the room and seeing Shannon and Kim, every apprehension I had melted away and I felt like life made sense. It made me smile to watch Shannon get uncomfortable opening presents (she always hated the spotlight) and to watch Kim chase after her two year old (Emily) whose fingers were in the cake. It was so wonderful to be reconnected with two people that mean a lot to me.

Shannon opening presents
Emily Grace helping to open presents (She was so cute with her little Uggs on)

Emily eating the icing from the cake. She's just too cute!

Us at the end of the day. (I was not having a good hair day)A few hours doesn't erase the last 6 years of not speaking but I felt like I was able to let go of some of the guilt that I've felt about that and replaced it with hope that we can move forward and be in each others lives from now on.
The way it should be.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Al! That was so nice! Thank you for coming to my shower! It means a lot that you would come after so many years! I am so happy that we are finally in each others lives again! Love you-Shan
PS-My nose is seriously as big as my face! (:

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you got back in touch with long lost friends. I know they're are several people I would like to reconnect with.

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's so awesome! I am so glad you girls got back together!!

Shannon, YOU LOOK GORGEOUS!!!!

Angie said...

How cute! I am so glad you reconnected!! You have been to a lot of baby showers lately...What is up with that??

Anonymous said...

It's so good the hear that you were able to reconnect! That is fantastic! I always say: "Everything Happens for a Reason."

Anonymous said...

You are too cute and I totally love this blog thing!!! As you can see I haven't been on this or facebook recently. I am thrilled that we have reconnected as well, and have missed you in my life xoxoox