• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Home Sweet Home

The GFE
Growing up an Air Force brat was definitely a wonderful experience. From Myrtle Beach, Virginia, Florida to Germany, I saw a lot during my formative years. I loved my childhood. I think I'm who I am because of it and I'm thankful every day for it. I'll admit I cried every time we moved (every four years) and told my father that he was ruining my life. In my defense I was in 8th grade and we had to move to Germany of all places. There were no malls in Germany--it was devastating at the time. I'll never forget how much worse it was to leave Germany after I graduated high school. I would have gladly traded any mall for the outdoor markets in Europe. I loved it and I loved the military (and my dad) for giving me that experience.

I remember after I moved into Littell Hall and went to my first floor meeting in college, we played an icebreaker where we had to say our name and where we were from. That, my friends, is the question that sends panic through the heart of any person who has a parent in the military. I know it sounds weird but I really had no answer. Did I say Germany because that's where I went to HS or did I say New Mexico because that's where my parents lived? Or was it NY because that's where I was born? I don't remember what I answered at that time. I just remember wondering what it was like to be born and raised in one place and being able to answer the "where are you from" question without thinking.

It's been many years since and I've come across this question often. I still don't like answering it in such limited terms. And the reason I've decided is because I feel bad for claiming any one place as my "hometown". I loved every place I've lived and all those places were important to a part of my life. I couldn't just claim one. It would be like choosing one handbag to carry forever. And we all know how I feel about that.

Today I went to the GFE ( Green Family Estate) to visit my mom. As I was pulling up to the house, I thought of how much I love to go over to visit. True, it's not one of the houses I grew up in and I've never actually lived here for more than a few weeks at a time (for vacations and between my own moves) but as I drove up to it, I thought of the people inside and I realized I've always known, exactly where I'm from.

5 comments:

Angie said...

How sweet! I love the GFE! Have a good week, I'll talk to you soon

C said...

I remember your house a barn red color...is that new siding?

Beth said...

way to add in a handbag analogy!

By the way, I did not get a new camera. I have my sister's old one. I had to face the fact that I just can't afford the new one I want right now. I'm planning to watch the ads and buy it for myself for Christmas.

AG said...

Yes, my father just did the siding (and by just, I mean it took the last three years)He still has to put up shutters. green ones.

Megan said...

Hi Allison! It's Beth's niece Megan. I love your entry about hometowns. I never know what to say either! My life has been split almost equally between four places and it doesn't feel like you can not include some of them.
Hope things are good with you! :)