• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fight Song

Do you have a fight song?
I do.

During my first semester of grad school (6 years ago--wow I can't believe it's been that long) I wasn't sure that I had made a good decision to go back to school and give up my job to be a graduate assistant. I had moved to a new place and wasn't convinced that I loved it. I was not feeling my new life. I was sitting in my car one night feeling sorry for myself because I had a huge paper due and I lived in a tiny studio apartment. It was awful and I wanted to pack it in and leave. I happened to hear a song on the radio that surprisingly turned it all around. The lyrics were the exact words I needed to hear at that moment. And though it took a little adjusting, I didn't give up and ended up finishing my degree and was very happy in school and in life. And you might wonder what lyrical genius helped to change my entire attitude about my graduate school career...

Look.. if you had.. one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted.. in one moment
Would you capture it.. or just let it slip? Yo..

That's right. Eminem's Lose Yourself became my fight song. To this day when I am feeling down and unsure about something, I dig out my 8 Mile Soundtrack (yes, i bought it, don't judge) and listen to it loudly. And somehow I'm comforted.

Yo.

5 comments:

Beth said...

was it the scholarly paper in Learning Communities, because that sucked as a first semester paper! I'm not sure that I had heard before that Eminem was so inspiring to you that semester (and after). Very cool. Now I'll have to think... I'm not sure what my fight song would be!
I like your new profile picture!

C said...

This song has pushed me thru many runs. I blast it. I repeat it.

There's no Mekhi Phiher, this is my life

...and yes, I had to look up how to spell his name.

:P

Anonymous said...

I have a former co-worker who quit her very lucrative IT job to go work in human services. Who would have ever thought that Marshall had the power to influence lives and change destinies? I love it! :D

And it's a fantastic song!

Sass said...

This song plays every 4 songs on my "Perfect Workout" playlist on my ipod. Wow.

Represent, sista!

Another one right now is So What by Pink.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm enjoying yours!

Angie said...

I have never, ever heard of that song, I think I might need to expand beyond country...How was family weekend?? We should try to get together this week, next weekend is crazy for me because I have Emerging Leaders.