• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Say Cheese!

I spent my second day of my "vacation" at work.  I think it's funny.  I mean, it's not the idea of vacation but I got in the zone and got some stuff done.  And I promised I would come in for a meeting.  I just stayed the whole day.   I did sleep in and I wore a ponytail and gym shorts to my office, so that made it feel less official. 

Anyway, I had planned to make a pan of macaroni and cheese for my friends, Sara & Josh.  They are going to Europe on Thursday so I wanted to give them a meal to freeze so that they have dinner on the night they get back.  So that they can come home and just unpack and relax.  I read this in a travel guide and thought it was a great idea.   Plus, this mac & cheese is so good that I love to share it with others.  I never really make it for myself because I worry about how bad it is for me, and I could probably eat the ENTIRE pan myself.  So I only make it for others or for events. 

Now, I need to let you know that this is called "Grandma Green's Mac & Cheese".  At least in my world.   Traditionally I don't care for mac and cheese out of the box (absolutely grosses me out) and I am picky about the homemade varieties I've had.   But when my Grandma makes it, I can't get enough.  So a few years ago, I asked her for the recipe.  She happily gave it to me.  I worried that it wouldn't come out as delicious as when she makes it, and that's true but I think it comes close enough. 

So today I'll give you my tutorial about it.  (it's kind of like doing a cooking show while I'm taking pictures of the process...)

Ingredients:
1 package macaroni (8 to 9 ounces)
3 cups Thin White sauce (see below for instructions)
1/4 to 1/2 pound grated cheese (about 1 package)
1 tablespoon grated onion
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup butter crumbs (optional--I don't do this part)

Thin White Sauce:

3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk

Directions:
1.  Cook macaroni, drain and rinse
2.  While macaroni is cooking, shred a block of cheddar cheese (you can use shredded but I like to shred it myself)

This is my very favorite brand of sharp cheddar cheese.  Yum!
 
 3.  Start the white sauce.  Melt the butter over low heat.  Add flour, salt and pepper.  (I pre-measure the ingredients to make this easier)

4.  Stir until well blended.  Remove from heat.
 5.  Gradually stir in milk and return to heat.  Cook stir constantly until thick and smooth.  It take a few minutes, don't worry.
 6.  Combine hot white sauce, grated cheese, onion, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, reserving a little of the grated cheese for topping. 
 7.  Add mixture to the macaroni and place in a greased casserole dish.  Top with cheese and buttered crumbs (optional). 
 8.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until browned. 

Right out of the oven.  
So that's how the magic behind my Grandma's recipe.  It's so good.  I wanted to eat some but I refrained.  I even made a second pan of it for my friend Angie and her family.  I hope that they all enjoy this deliciousness.  It doesn't have the Grandma magic that I love, but it'll have to do.

And thanks to my Grandma for sharing this recipe with me!  xoxo

And if you happen to try it out, let me know how you like it.  I bet Grandma would like to know too.  ;)

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Yummers!!

Anonymous said...

I love macaroni and cheese! I wil lhave to try this out.