• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Watermelon Wonders

Back in February I had found a recipe for watermelon cookies (really they are sugar cookies)  in a magazine (People Country September 2010)  Of course, I saved it and filed it away for this summer.  Thanks to my handy binder of ideas.
Aren't they cute in the picture? Love. love. love.

So I busted out the recipe for the party this week. 

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Red food coloring
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate mini morsels
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp water
Green food coloring

Directions:
1.  Beat butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating well.  Add egg, milk and vanilla, mixing until blended.
2.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture.  Add a small amount of red food coloring to dough to color as desired.  Beat on low speed until blended. 
3.  Shape dough into a ball; cover and chill at least 3 hours.

4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
I added a lot of red food coloring because I wanted them to be true watermelon color. 
5.  Divide dough in half; store one portion in refrigerator.  Roll out remaining portion to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.  Cut dough with a 3 inch round cookie cutter; cut each circle in half and place on parchment lined baking sheets. 

6.  Press several chocolate mini morsels into each cookie.  Repeat with remaining dough.

7.  Bake for 8-10 minutes (do not brown)
(I didn't have mini morsels so I had to cut the big chocolate chips-so not as cute)
8.  In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and enough water to form a glaze; add a small amount of green food coloring. 
9. Dip round edge of each cookie in green glaze and place on a wire rack until frosting is firm.
Okay, they aren't nearly as adorable as the picture in the magazine, but it was my first time making them so I'll forgive myself this time.  I will definitely do these again.  And next time, I think they will come out way better.   But looks aside, they tasted pretty good.  Can't go wrong with sugar cookies!
Have a great Thursday!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

You should lnk this tutorial, it is awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I think you did a wonderful job.

Beth said...

I am definitely going to make those for R's birthday! Very cute!!!