• Fashion is about what you wear. Style is about how you live your life. ~Ralph Lauren

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Motherhood for Dummies

Tonight was the babysitting night. I have successfully kept Tyler (my friend Tara's son) content for over 8 hours. We went over to Angie's house tonight to play (me with Angie and Ava and Ty with Brock and friend) and then even went to Walmart to pick up Orange Juice so the kid doesn't have to drink diet coke or coffee (I mean, it might stunt his growth) After brushing his teeth and getting on jammies, he cuddled up on the couch to watch High School Musical and fell asleep. He's such a nice kid.

I've babysat my whole life and love kids. I want my own kids someday. But there is a part of me that wonders if I'll be a good mother. Will I nag too much? Will the words "because I said so" become a part of my vocab? Based on my experience with the 8 year old tonight-- probably. Those things are bound to happen. And I might not make a terrible mother because of that. I might just be the normal kind of mother that says no to the tube of liquid candy in line at the Walmart. (I mean honestly, are kids that lazy? They can't be bothered to chew candy?) And I might be the kind of mother that lets the kids stay up late on the weekend. I guess I won't know until it happens to me.
But for now, I'll fall asleep tonight feeling confident that I'm a damn good babysitter. :)

1 comment:

Rach said...

You'd be a great mom! You can adopt me for practice. ^_^